Monday, March 31, 2008

4.5 miles in Maui

We arrived in Maui yesterday. It was a 9 hour flight and after some issues with luggage arriving on a different plane and being very annoyed at the price of a few simple groceries, we found the condo that we are staying at for most of this week. Our condo is very nice, it is right on the ocean and it has a pool. We forced ourselves to stay awake as long as possible to adjust to Maui time, but we still fell asleep at like 9 p.m. It was a really long exhausting day.
We woke up at 6 a.m. feeling well rested and decided to go out for a run to explore the area and get the day started. Our first mile or so was on a side road that mostly had condos and resorts around it, and lots of palm trees and greenery. We did go by a fruit stand that we're going to have to visit later. The weather was gorgeous today. It was around 70 degrees on our run. The sun wasn't even a factor for the first 3 miles because we are staying on the west side of the island, and there is a mountain (Pu'u Kukui) blocking the sun rise. It was very windy though. We ended up running alongside a busy road before we finally found a good boardwalk by a beach. The road had a nice big shoulder, but I'm still not used to running that close to so much traffic. I think we'll find a different route tomorrow. I felt really good on the run. I still have some lingering left ankle tenderness, but its really not an issue. I'm looking forward to a week of good running.

We did some hiking this afternoon on the north side of the island. I've never been to a place like this, the terrain is incredible. Our hike was mostly in a really rocky and craggy area along the ocean, that looked like the Moon or Mars with lots of weird lava rock formations. It was a really fun drive on lots of windy roads. I don't know if I will ever have a chance to come back here, so I am trying to take it all in and enjoy it as much as possible. I'm in Maui now so I dont want to spend too much time online, so I'm going to go now. We are going to get some seafood and sushi for dinner. I don't know it it's the weather or what, but we've been starving all day even though we've been eating constantly.

No comments: