Monday, March 24, 2008

12 miles

Cassie, Erik and I went for a 12 mile long run Saturday late morning. All the snow on Friday made everything a mess, but we had to get in our run. At least it was sunny and sort of warm, but that contributed to the messiness. Slushy snow and puddles were everywhere. My shoes and socks were soaked pretty much before mile 3. No one in this city shovels their sidewalks. Once we got out to the lakeshore path it turned out to be a great run. I'm always amazed at how well the city keeps up the lakeshore path. Winter long runs in Chicago wouldnt be possible without it.

It was a good run for me. Our pace was a little slower because Cassie was with us, but it wasnt much of a difference. I was able to take off my pullover and run in just a t-shirt going south on the path because the wind was at our back, but once we turned around to head back home I needed to wear my pull-over again. Ah well, it felt like summer for about a half-hour at least. We took GU only once at mile 6 and that seemed to do the trick for me.

And my ankle? Well, it was pretty much the same problem as it has been the last week and a half. A bit sensitive at first, but then the problem goes away after a mile or two and it's fine until after the run. I am going to let it rest until at least Tuesday night or Wednesday morning before running again. If a running coach or trainer were to read this they would think I'm an idiot because I keep running on my ankle and it obviously needs a little more time to heal. It's just hard to take the time off from training. So, I'll continue to be an idiot and hope that it gets better.

No comments: