Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Race Report: Universal Sole Lakefront 10 miler

It was a cool and mostly cloudy morning on Sunday, with temperatures in the 40s, but very little wind. Really nice weather for a long-distance race actually. Erik, Cassie and I were running the Lakeshore 10 miler. The course began at Montrose and Simmonds Dr., went north on Simmonds to Bryn Mawr, then turned south all the way to Fullerton and back to Montrose.

Initially, we intended to make this an easy training run and not push too hard. Apparently its difficult for me to "take it easy" in a race. Although I did at the start, and I think that really helped me run a great race. We started off on an easy pace for the first several miles. I wasnt feeling all that well on account of a lack of sleep and not eating well for a couple days before the race. By the time we got to mile 5, I was in a groove and I noticed that a PR was in sight if I picked up my pace just a little bit. By the time I hit mile 7 I was running about a minute per mile faster than the first 5 miles. Still feeling good, I turned it on some more and seperated myself from Erik and Cassie by just a little bit. At mile 9, I knew I had a PR, but I sped up regardless to see what I could handle. Erik caught up to me on the last quarter mile and we finished in 1:30:07, over 3 minutes faster than my PR for the distance. Cassie finished only 20 seconds behind us.

My mile splits were: 9:52, 9:49, 9:11, 9:05, 9:20, 9:02, 9:05, 8:48, 8:14, 7:42, with an average lap of 9:01.

This was the first middle-distance race that I really felt confident throughout and finished strong. It definitely helped that it was a very well-managed race. A nice scenic (very familiar) course. Aid stations were in great locations, as was the Clif Shot station. I'm looking forward to starting some speed work soon and really improving upon my times this summer. Hopefully it will show when I get to the distance classic and eventually the marathon.

No comments: