Wednesday, May 7, 2008

My Runniversary

Today is my one year runniversary. What is a runniversary you may ask? Well, one year ago today I took my first steps towards living an active healthy life. I met up with my friend Erik in the morning and we ran about four and a half miles around Ravenswood. I recall having to walk once or twice during the run because I just couldnt run anymore. After the run, I went home, got ready for work, and biked 10 miles downtown for the first time ever. I had to stop once or twice during the ride to rest and drink some water. I made it to work, tired, sore and exhausted. I couldn't imagine biking 10 miles back home later that day, but somehow I made the painful trek home that evening. It's amazing that I ever exercised again after I overdid it that first day, but somehow I continued, running 2-3 days a week the first few weeks, then running 3-4 days a week, until running became a habit instead of a chore.

Today, I ran a new route. A five and a half miler with my friend Jon, going past my new condo in Albany Park, which I move into in early June. I felt great and ran strong the entire time. A lot has changed since last May.

In one year I have ran over 1,000 miles, burned over 150,000 calories, lost over 40 lbs., ran a full-marathon and a numerous other road races. I can say without hesitation that I have never felt better about myself, where I am, and what I am doing with my life. I can't help but be excited about the year ahead as the weather warms up and I train for another marathon in June and look forward to running Chicago in the fall.

No comments: