Wednesday, April 9, 2008

7 + 4.5 milers

We are back in Chicago. Although the weather is definitely not better here, it feels good to be back home now. It does feel like spring is here at least. Temperatures are consistently in the 40s and 50s instead of 20s and 30s. I can wear shorts when I run now.

I originally was going to use this blog as my running journal after everytime I run, but I already use Map My Run as my running journal mostly. Writing and logging two journals is already proving to be too much for me to handle and is not really interesting if anyone is actually reading this blog. Who wants to just read my boring report on the weather and how I felt on the run? So, my plan is to not write after every run, but write when I have the time and combine a few runs in each posting. Hopefully this will allow me to write more interesting postings as well.

Monday evening, I ran with the Fleet Feet Fun Run group from the Lincoln Square store. The store is the closest running retailer to my house, and the group always goes on the river path for their fun runs, which is a great route. It's the best running store in Chicago from all the ones I've visited. Fun races, a friendly knowledgeable staff and great stock in shoes, apparel and pretty much anything you want. My friend Erik met me at the store and we set out to do 6 miles. It actually ends up being over 7 miles for me if I run to and from my house to the store. It makes a nice warm up. A short ways into the run after smaller groups began breaking out we were running with a woman named Amanda. We had a great conversation with her about the Madison-Chicago 200 Relay which she ran last year and we are considering running this year. She was able to answer alot of our questions. Before we knew it we were going on a fast pace (for us anyways). I wasn't timing us, but I am pretty sure we were doing sub-8:30s, but I felt great and kept pushing it until we returned to the store. It didn't feel like 7 miles at all when I got home. The weather was in the mid 40s so I was able to wear shorts. This was a great run. I wish every one was like this.

Wednesday morning Schroeder and I met up for a morning run. It was chillier than I expected in the high 30s and cloudy and windy. I still wore shorts. It's hard to go back to long pants after you've been running in shorts for over a week! I can't wait for summer. We ran a 4 and a half mile loop through Ravenswood. I felt pretty slugglish for most of this run, but we got the miles in. The best news is that I am feeling very healthy with no pain or soreness anywhere.

Not sure if I'll go out tomorrow. It is supposed to be cool and rainy again. Friday morning I am running with my friend Jon, who is running the Soldier Field 10 miler with Cassie and I in May. He used to be a runner and is planning on training for this race with us to get back into shape after winter. I'm looking forward to it. It probably won't be a long run on Friday so I may go out tomorrow night.

My beloved Twins are playing the White Sox tonight, so I am going to head home and watch them now. I'm so glad baseball is back.

No comments: