Sunday, April 13, 2008

12 miles

I completed my 12 mile long run in for the week. Erik and I went out in the early afternoon. It was sunny and cold today and worst of all...very windy. Per usual in Chicago, the wind only affects about half of your run depending upon whether you are running north or south first. Since I live pretty far north the wind is usually at my back for the first half of my run as I go south on the lakeshore path. However, when you turn around to start running home you nearly get knocked over by the wind. The run going south was great. We were flying with the wind and making great time while not exerting much extra energy. When we turned around at North Ave. and started running north, I could feel the energy draining from my body as I fought the wind. It was brutal, but once we got to Belmont it was better because there is more protection from trees. I was so relieved to turn west onto Montrose. The rest was a piece of cake until I arrived home.

All in all, today was a really good run. I took some extra time stretching beforehand because I was sore from the 5 miler yesterday and I think that really helped me. I had some mental battles later on in the run, you know them, the little demon on your shoulder that keeps telling you to stop. The wind was the primary cause of those problems though. We kept a nice steady 9 to 9:30 pace for most of the run and only stopped a couple times to rehydrate and once to take a GU. I'm still feeling really good physically, with no injury bugs or nagging soreness. The mileage is going to really start climbing now on the long runs, so the real test will be the next few weeks.

The weather should start seriously warming up this week. I'm hoping I can put my running pants away until fall now. It's unlikely, but you never know with this city.

No comments: