Friday, October 24, 2008

Race Report: Bank of America Chicago Marathon

On Sunday October 12, 2008 I ran the Bank of America Chicago Marathon. It was my third marathon of 2008. All week we watched the weather as the forecast climbed until they were predicting temps in the 70s and 80s again on Marathon Sunday. I was just hoping for an overcast day to keep the heat under wraps. Sunday morning rolled around and temps were already in the mid 60s at 5 in the morning with not a cloud in sight.

It was going to be hot.

I met up with my friend Brian and his girlfriend Amanda and we headed downtown to the race start. I didnt even need to wear a long sleeved shirt. We made it downtown using public transportation with no issues and walked to Columbus and Congress. After a couple bathroom trips and standing around watching the sun rise, I found my way to the D Corral to line up. There was lots of space in the Corral which was nice and I found the sub 4 hour marathon pacers. I was aiming for a sub-4 hour marathon, but knew that the weather was going to be challenging. When they removed the barrier for the open corral prior to the start things got crowded quickly as the faster runners that didnt make a corral time pushed their way towards the front. It was annoying. I thought the Corrals would be started before the Open Corral was released, but that apparently wasn't the case.

Once the race began, it took me less than 5 minutes to reach the actual starting line and off we went. I was expecting a slower first mile with the large crowd but we still managed to hit our 9 minute mile pace right on target. It went so quickly that I didnt even notice the mile marker. The crowds were just incredible downtown. Tons of people cheering everywhere. I felt good as we made our way back down into the Loop and up LaSalle, finding my pace and stride. The tall buildings downtown provided plenty of shade from the morning sun and kept the temps down in the low 70s. I stayed with my pacers.

As we made our way to the northside, the crowd support continued to be great. My favorite part of the race was turning south on Broadway from Addison. I connected with a friend Lara on Addison and waved as I made the turn to a huge, loud yelling crowd of people. It was so inspiring that I couldnt help but pick up my pace unintentionally. Heading back towards downtown I ran into my friend Tom and Brian's girlfriend, Amanda near mile 10. They ran with me for one block, took a few photos with me and I continued on my way.

At mile 12 I was starting to struggle. I needed to find a bathroom and the heat was rising. I knew I couldnt stay with the pacers for much longer. At the half-way mark I started losing the pacers and at the mile 14 water stop I found a port-o-john. I tried to remain positive, but I knew this was the beginning of the end. I pushed through the west side, still keeping a sub-10 minute/mile pace, but walking through some water stops. At mile 18 I stopped and said Hi to a friend Megan who was volunteering for the race. Around this time they raised the color coded threat system to red instead of yellow. Great...just what I needed. I pushed onward to the southside, my goal pretty much out of mind at this point, but a PR still clearly in sight.

As I hit Chinatown I saw the temp on a bank as I passed: 87 degrees and no shade to be seen. My worst stretch was on Wentworth heading south towards US Cellular Field. There was no shade, you are next to the interstate and crowd support was less than ideal. As I hit the International Mile, the southern most point of the course, I was still on pace for a PR, but didnt have much time to spare. Heading north on Michigan I pushed myself as hard as I could to keep running, only walking one more time at mile 23 through the water stop. After mile 24 I pushed myself to run until the finish. Without the open hydrants, hoses and misting stations there was no way I could have kept going. I was soaking wet. At mile 26 the Roosevelt hill is a real killer, but a great chance to pass a lot of people. I tried to enjoy the crowd support as I ran the last .2 miles to the finish, but was relieved to be done with this hot race as I crossed the finish line in 4:25:17. Not my goal, but a PR nonetheless.

The 27th mile was the most brutal. We were forced to walk another mile down a chain link fence with no shade or place to sit. Finally after grabbing some waters and snacks I found my way out of the labrinth to a shady place to sit and ponder yet again why I made this decision to do this to myself. I am either stupid or insane. I made my way to the runner reunite area and found Amanda and Brian. Then later I met up with PJ who ran his first marathon, and finally I found Cassie who finished with all her kids from the mentoring program.

Hot weather aside it was a fantastic race. Plenty of supplies, water and gatorade. Unmatched crowd support. There were people on the sidelines pretty much everywhere except a couple small stretches on the west and south sides. I dont know yet if I feel the desire to run Chicago again, but I would definitely volunteer at least.
Who knows, maybe I will change my mind. I was already considering where I'd run my next marathon before I went to bed at 8 that Sunday. It is an addiction.

Congrats to other runners out there and thanks to the organizers for a great day.

3 comments:

KimsRunning said...

Nice race report! I've only been running one year (Nov 2nd to be exact). I did Sarasota Florida Grouper last March. Took me 5:33:38! Forever, but what an experience. I loved every minute of it. I'm doing Space Coast Nov 30th, Dick Beardsley will be speaking there. Very excited about that. I'm nursing an IT band injury that's driving me insane. I'm so far behind in my training but I'll have fun no matter what. Maybe someday I'll go back home to run Boston.

Good luck with your running!
Kim

BT said...

Thanks for checking out my blog Kim. I've only been running a couple years myself. Good luck with your training for the Space Coast Marathon next month. That sounds like a good one. Take it easy on that IT band and enjoy the race. Better to show up healthy and under-trained than injured.

KimsRunning said...

Thanks BT. I saw the chiro this morning and I feel fabulous. I'll run tomorrow for the first time in 3 weeks and test it out. No matter what, I'll have a blast at Space Coast!