Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Race Report: Elvis Is Alive 5k

Long time no blog. Since I last posted in June after Grandma's Marathon, I've recovered from that race nicely, struggled to start training for Chicago in October, struggled to be motivated to run in the heat and humidity, started doing weekly speed workouts at the North Park University Track, biked to work about once a week for cross-training, and panicked that the Distance Classic is soon and that I havent done a long run of more than 12 miles since the marathon. So as you can tell, it's been a bit of a roller coaster ride.

The Elvis 5k last year was my first race ever, so it's fun to think about how far I've come in the course of one year. Lots of training, shorter races and a couple marathons have passed. Several friends wanted to run the race with us since we gave it such a good review last year. While last year was typical hot and humid August weather, this year we were blessed with cool and breezy temps in the low 70s. It felt like a September race. The race course moved downtown to Grant Park, which was convenient since I work downtown. The course changed a bit at the last minute because of a pre-season Bears game, but Fleet Feet handled it all very well with email communications.

I ran very well and PR'd for a 5k with a time of 23:35. That isn't official because its not a chip-timed race, but its based on my Garmin watch so I trust it. I was hoping for a time closer to 23 flat, but it was difficult to break open on the first mile on the crowded and narrow lakeshore path. I usually have more energy for a kick at the end, but felt pretty spent. All in all, a great speed workout for the week.

Mile Splits:
Mile 1: 8:08
Mile 2: 7:36
Mile 3: 7:14
Mile .1: :35

The post-race party was a blast with an Elvis impersonator concert and Goose Island 312, which tasted amazing. It's a great atmosphere, if you have never run this race before, I highly recommend it for next year.

No comments: